Strike: SSANU, NASU, NAAT Say No Resumption Unless FG Corrects Alleged “Imbalance”

 

Following the suspension of the nine-month old strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) on Wednesday, three other unions of non-academic staff of universities in Nigeria have said they will not resume unless the federal government corrects the alleged imbalance in the sharing formula of the yet to be released N40bn Earned Academic Allowance (EAA).

These three unions are the Senior Staff Association of Nigeria Universities, (SSANU); Non-Academic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions (NASU) and the National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT).

They alleged that the government gave ASUU about 75 percent out of the N40 billion EAA, leaving only 25 percent for the other three unions to share among their members.

The unions declared that they would not resume in January when universities reopen unless the Federal Government corrected the “imbalance.”

The Nation reports that the National President of SSANU, Comrade Mohammed Haruna Ibrahim, said his union would not take the lopsided sharing formula.

He said: ”I believe that this remains a rumour even though I know it could be true, I have seen 75 per cent and 25 per cent.

“But if that is it, we have stated in no uncertain terms that we will not take this kind of lopsided allocations again because what is the scientific measurement used to give this money. We have stated before now that the least we can take is 50-50, they are not more in numbers.

“And even if they want to do something like that maybe this is my own personal opinion, I may not insist on 50-50 but at least something reasonable. We have so many numbers.

Read Also >>  WAEC Releases 2020 Results (1,003,668 Candidates Had Credit & Above in Both English & Maths)

“If they give for example 60-40, do you think the noise will be there? Government does not want peace if it is giving 75 per cent to only one union and giving 25 per cent to three unions, does it make sense?

“Certainly, my members are more than willing to down tools if this becomes a reality.”

Also, the National President of NAAT, Ibeji Nwokomma said anyone thinking that the non-teaching staff unions in the universities would resume with the recent development was day-dreaming.

 

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.